We have another "zero day" and we're hanging out at The Hiker Inn in Fontana Dam, NC. Jeff & Nancy are the owners here and have been running this operation for 19 years. Their 5-room motel is open for hikers only. They work everyday of the week during the hiking season and the location of their Inn on the trail means they get really busy in March, April & May for thru-hikers, then a little less busy with section-hikers during the summer. There is no cell reception here though and I have to get a ride from one of them into town so I can call home, send & check emails and update my blog. I find it hard to sit around for 1 1/2 days (we got here yesterday at 1:30) after being so active everyday with hiking. I'm looking forward to getting back on the trail tomorrow morning to get moving again, but I'm also a little concerned about hiking in the Smoky Mountains - a bear sanctuary! I don't anticipate there being cell reception out there so I'll post all my journals when I get to our stopping point in 5 days. There is only one highway outlet within the park, which is about halfway thru it and also our stopping point. Unfortunately, we don't have enough time left in our journey to hike all of the Smoky Mountains - we would need about 2 more days to be able to do that - but we have about 1 extra day once we get to that stopping point, so we are going to take our time getting there and not push ourselves too much. This works out well b/c Firewalker's knee is still bothering him.
It's sad to be nearing the end of our hiking trip, but I'm glad that we are exiting at such a magnificent part of the trail.
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Day 22: March 23rd
View of Fontana Dam this morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Will eagerly anticipate whatever you can post, whenever you can post it! will pray about the whole bear thing too! : )
lisa c.
Great blog Renée! I enjoy reading it. Please give my best to Luke. Love, Pops
Renee, Jay sent me this, it's a 4 minute video of the AT. I thought it was really cool: http://vimeo.com/20218520
Post a Comment