Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 26: March 27th

Hiked 10.8 miles from Double Spring shelter to Newfound Gap, which is the highway that connects from one side of the park to the other.
A cold, misty morning again as we hike Clingman's Dome - the highest point on the AT (6,643 ft.). It's not actually very high comparatively, but on the AT you climb up and down so many "little" mountains which makes the whole trail quite challenging. There is zero visibility up there today. I'm sorry that I can't see the view from up top, but it's still a great feeling to make it up there. The trail is steep and muddy. The air is cold and wet and we are eager to get to Newfound Gap - and off the trail. We both arrived at the parking lot at Newfound Gap in record time. There are loads of high school kids there on a field trip to view this area of the Smoky Mountains. I instantly feel like I've stepped into a different culture and chuckle to myself when I hear people declare that they're cold and that they want to get back on the bus.
We had to hitch-hike into Gatlinburg, which is 15 miles away. I hate doing that - not only is it scary, but I feel like I'm mooching from somebody. I'd rather find another way to get from one point to another. However, today that is the only way we were going to get to town. We successfully got a ride in the back of a pick-up truck and it was quite easy to get a ride too! :> I was very glad about that.

3 comments:

Suzayn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee said...

I guess I removed your post by accident! Or did you do that?

Suzayn said...

I did, it was about the boot photo, but it was in the wrong spot! :)