Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 11: 14 miles to Mt Baldy

My blisters hurt very much this morning. I hiked through a lot of pain, which was made worse by a lot of downhill and flat trails. I got a break from that pain on all the uphills. I know - not very convenient. I am getting more and more used to being uncomfortable and I truly think this is a good thing. It's good to get out of my comfort zone and build a higher tolerance for pain. It can come in handy in life. 
This afternoon at about the 11 mile mark we met our trail angels and re-supplied our meals and snacks and also had a fantastic meal of sandwiches!! It was the best lunch ever. After lunch we walked uphill most of the way (yay for blister pain relief!) for the remaining 3 miles til we reached camp, while carrying 6 liters of water each  (that's around 12 lbs of weight) since we are not camping at a place with a water source tonight. We are on top of a mountain and we can see all of Lake Tahoe from the northern perspective. It's really hard to believe how far we've come since we started. I am so happy about our accomplishment.
At night we all gather in "the kitchen" and eat our meals together and have lively conversation. We are a nice, cohesive group which makes it even more pleasant to be out here. I'm so glad we all get along well and we all seem to have good attitudes. 
There is a forest fire on the west side of Lake Tahoe, which is not near us but we sure can see all the smoke billowing from there and it is quite hazy in the mountains and over the Lake. 

A few of my friends enjoying a late afternoon together after a big day. This spot overlooks Lake Tahoe and you can kinda see how hazy it is from the fire. 

No comments: