Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 1 hiking: March 2nd

We hiked from Springer Mountain to our campsite, 8.7 miles. We did quite well for our first day (I really planned to hike only half that distance). Both our backpacks seem odd and heavy, so it was a shake-down day on figuring out our gear & packs.
We met a guy named Steve at the hiker hostel yesterday who started his hike with us and we've been hiking with him all day. He looks out for my dad and has been really helpful to both of us this trip.
There are privies at every shelter and they're quite nice. I'm so happy to not have to find a tree to go behind and always having to watch out for people passing by. Oh and there are many people out here today! I imagine about 15 people are camping at our shelter and there are many more folks at other shelters tonight. I'm surprised how "crowded" it is for early March.
Tonight we can hear a military group of air-borne rangers doing their mountain training. We hear helicopters overhead and machine guns (fake or whatever) and it's quite noisy. Weird to hear out hear in the wilderness...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Renee & Luke! We really enjoying your blog.

Unknown said...

41 lbs. what the heck u got in there a gallon of foot cream and a months supply of sox:)

Renee said...

Jeanette~. Lots of protein powder, more than enough "Wet Ones" and the rest is a bunch of stuff I threw in there b/c it "weighs practically nothing". Ha!