Good news! We just heard from a forest ranger that the bears don't come out for another 3 weeks*!! Such a relief...
Today we hiked from Hawk Mtn. Shelter for about 9 miles and camped along the side of the trail. We camped with Grace and Steve, our "trail family". We are aiming to get to Neel's Gap (our current "Promised Land") by tomorrow afternoon. There we plan to stay in the hostel or a cabin and have real showers, eat real food and wash our clothes! I can't wait. We hiked up and over 3 1/2 mountains today and I still feel every one of them. It was super cold out, yet sunny. I had my gloves on, wore a neck gator and a beanie cap to stay warm during the downhills then I was sweatin' on those ups. It's tough, but the scenery is amazing and I love every minute of this.
I'm having very intense dreams out here, mostly about bears. Last night I dreamt that a bear cub was curled up just outside my tent inside the vestibule area and leaning back on my legs. Frightened and paralyzed I tried to calmly call for help but couldn't get anybody's attention and I woke up to find that it was a dream but then I realized that I'm sleeping in a coffin with a high ceiling and I'm totally cramped and have to go potty but don't want to go out in the freezing cold night and risk not warming up again. I'm not super happy with my sleeping arrangement (it's just so small!) however my 2 sleeping pads are marvelous!!
*this was declared on or around March 1st, so we are now about 2.5 weeks 'til them bears come out!
No comments:
Post a Comment