Hiked 15.9 miles today from Carter gap shelter to Winding Stair gap. Then hitched a ride to town.
Yikes! The 15.9 miles part or the hitchhiking part? I was more afraid of the hitching...but I had my dad with me and a fellow hiker (Steady Steps) and we were fortunate enough to get a ride quickly.
It rained heavily most of the day. We had several uphills and a technical trail to contend with much of the time, plus sheer cliffs to our right on one section. I'm half glad that it was raining so much today and therefore we couldn't see over those cliffs :>
Our big feat today was to climb over Albert Mountain. We climbed up 350 feet over .3 miles. Really, really steep, tough terrain. There was a fire tower at the top and Firewalker told me that he and his hiking buddies climbed that too and that I should do it, but he doesn't have to b/c he already did then. Being the sucker that I am - and a sentimental fool - I climbed the 4 flights of stairs to get to the top. Then turned around and came back down while I thought "why did I do that?"
We made it 7 miles to the first shelter, but it was only 1:30 an plenty of daylight left so we marched on to the next shelter - 5.5 miles away. We got there by 4:30 and decided that we were so close to the road, about <4 miles and it looked mostly downhill according to the map, but we turned out to be very wrong - it was actually all UP for the last 4 miles (did we look at the map upside down?) - so we pushed on as we dreamed of sleeping in a comfy bed and real food and a shower! I think I don't like to camp for too many days in a row until I get to touch base with the comforts of modern life. I thought I could tolerate it more but I was wrong :<
1 comment:
You're a city girl now, Princess, you have to have your city comforts and cappuccinos.
Post a Comment