Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 21: March 22nd

This pic is a glimpse of Fontana Dam thru the trees!

Hiked 7 miles from Cable Gap shelter to Fontana Dam visitors center. Yahoo!!
This marks the last point before entering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
We plan to stay overnight today and possibly tomorrow at The Hiker Inn near the Fontana dam so we can recharge and resupply before we start hiking again. Firewalker's right knee is giving him lots of pain today so we may need to readjust our hiking plans for this next week...
We met "Squatch" today. He is hiking from Fontana Dam to Springer Mountain with the sole purpose of interviewing hikers about their experiences here on the AT for a documentary he is filming and producing. He also does a podcast with a few other guys on iTunes. I can't remember what it's called but it's all about Bigfoot sightings, stories and theories. He was really quite a funny guy. He has also made a few films about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Check out "Walkpct.com" for more info. (I haven't had a chance to look at that website yet.) We enjoyed camping with him very much.

4 comments:

Suzayn said...

It looks so pretty! Are all of these photos with your iphone? They are really good! Can you take video? It would be interesting to hear the sounds in the morning like the birds and other "mountain sounds" Except for the bears, I don't want to hear any bears :)

Suzayn said...

Oh and I am SURE you don't want to hear any bears too :)

Renee said...

I've sent a couple videos to the blog but it doesn't seem to have worked. :( :( :(
I'll keep trying when I can...

Renee said...

And, yes, these pics are all taken by my iPhone.