Miles hiked: approx. 8
Darn, it was freezing last night - I just couldn't warm up and tossed & turned from midnight til 6 am. My 20 degree sleeping bag just isn't enough warmth apparently. I'm hoping to find an outfitter store to remedy this problem asap. It's only supposed to get colder out here in the next weeks :( I'm feeling a little blue but I know I'll feel better in time...
We camped with 3 new friends last night: "Bag Lady", "Thumper" & "Easy does it". They all met on the AT in 2007 when they hiked the entire trail and are having a "reunion hike" by hiking for 5 days together. I loved hearing stories about their thru hike and listening to my dad talk about his experiences too. Bag Lady had lots of tips for me on how to pare down my gear some more. In fact when I first saw her I thought she was out for a day hike b/c her pack seemed so small and light. Thumper (DDS) was Ted Bundy's dentist while he worked at the Florida State Prison for many years! (Yikes!!) Thumper's a retired dentist now and I loved talking shop with him. I kinda miss pickin' teeth!
We decided to come to town today and stay overnight in a motel after our hike b/c both of us are experiencing knee pain & swelling. Plus I needed to find a solution for my cold sleeping situation. There aren't backpacking stores here but I may have been really resourceful & found a temporary solution until I get to a proper outfitter store in a few days. I'll report on it later if it works or not.
9 comments:
Ok so your dad is Firewalker, and you met new friends named Bag Lady", "Thumper" & "Easy does it" So the big question is... Do you have a trail name yet??? :)
Sorry about the cold, I hope you can find a way to stay warm at the next store.
If I'd known you were going to be spending so many nights in motels I may have come on your hiking trip! Don't freeze out there, sweetie.
Renee you are so strong to have taken on this challenge! Being cold is miserable! Im sure you will meet this Obsacle head on as you do everything else. YOU don't want your trail name to become "Popsicle" Or 'Otter-pop"
Hang in there and don't be blue!
Love you Margee Joplin-Wolosz=0
Bag Lady' she would be the one to pack my bag. Hope u got a new sleeping bag. U must stay warm. I love your stories keep em comin:)
OK Tall Timber, I pick Bag Lady's brain, I want her to pack for me. Hope u got a new warm sleeping bag.Love your blogs keep em comin.
I'm thinking after listening to our camp setle down for the night and you moving arms and legs around in that small tent, you could be called "Swoosh". Ha. Just an option. Hey, wish I was there. I'd give ya my silk bag liner and a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad to use. Makes a huge difference for me.
--Trance
I bought a liner for my bag - not silk but the light flannel type. I'm very interested in that sleeping pad you have! You would always go on about how comfortable you were at night. Sleeping is my least fave part of his whole trip. I'm just so uncomfortable. Thanks for your willing to loan me those things...Best hiking buddy ever!
Tall Timber,
I finally found where I wrote down your blog address...not under your trailname, that's why I couldn't find it. Sounds like you had some rough weather out there this March, but don't the bad days make the good days even better? Thanks for the kudos about my pack...I think it's too much stuff, but I will say I was right at the edge of staying warm on those cold nights. Maybe a little too close for me. My email is thebaglady07@gmail.com and I'd love to hear from ya! I just sent your link to Thumper and EZ Duzit so you'll probably be hearing from them too. Hugs, BagLady
Bag Lady!!!!
It's so great to hear from you. Yes, I agree the rough days only make the good days even better! One learns to appreciate things that we normally take for granted while being in those conditions.
Even though I was cold and uncomfortable I really really loved being out there. I never once thought that I wanted to cut my trip short.
Now I'm determined to make my pack extra light. You've inspired me!!
Glad to see your post on here :)
Post a Comment