Monday, March 21, 2011

"Mouse"

This is a pic of my, apparently, over-stuffed backpack.

We met Mouse today, he thru-hiked last year and is out for a one-week hike this year. We couldn't help but notice his tiny pack. He said that after last year's hike he learned how to lighten up all his gear plus get a light weight backpack (1 lb). His base weight is 6 lbs! When his pack is loaded with water and 5 days of food, it's about 15 or 16 lbs. Wow. I felt like a pack mule with my pack that weighs 32lbs fully loaded. He gave us some tips that I plan to implement for my next trip. Lightening the load makes such a difference on your knees, back, endurance & other things I can't think of right now, but it makes for a much more enjoyable hiking experience.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

16 lbs fully loaded? What a show-off! What does he sleep on, ONE Thermarest? Sucker!!