Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 2: 6 miles to Star Lake

Apparently our camp ground was right next to a junction on the trail where people easily get confused about where the actual trail is. There is an endurance run going on right now where the participants run 100 miles over a 4 day period and they don't even camp or sleep! They run at night time instead of camping and it seems that all of them would get lost at this trail junction (our campsite) and call out to each other questions about which way to go, etc. This kept me (and many others in our group) awake most of the night. 
Today's hike had mostly uphill miles and it was really knocking me out, even though it was *only* 6 miles. Thank goodness they didn't have us scheduled to do more mileage today, because I could barely make it to our campsite. When I got there I laid down for about a half hour while I snacked a bit and drank lots water to regain enough strength to set up my tent, etc. I am still adjusting to the altitude, which is 9,100 feet. 
Star lake is incredibly beautiful. We soaked our feet in the freezing cold water which was quite nice actually. We also had lots of time to just hang out and soak in the scenery and the sunshine. 


No comments: