From Lake Aloha we headed out and up and up, past several alpine lakes including Dick's Lake and Fontanillis Lake, which were both absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't mind doing another backpacking trip to stay at those lakes for a couple nights at each.
Today was treacherous. We gained lots of elevation and hiked in the hot sun, with very few shady spots and it's times like these that, I'll be totally honest, I don't enjoy trips like this. But I can't help but think about the metaphor for life in general. Some periods of time just really stink. We do things to help get us through those periods, like self-medicate with food and entertainment for example, but out here there is nothing but your own thoughts. That solitude combined with much physical exertion really boils down what I am thinking and what is really important to me in life. Out here, it's things like shade or shelter, food, water, being blister-free, being relatively clean, and being in good company that matter. In spite of drinking 5+ liters of water I have a bad headache this evening. Also I did not sleep much (again) last night. I was comfortable enough, but my mind is really busy.
Tomorrow we have an easy day of just 8.5 miles. Yay! I will enjoy the break as the past 2 days have been quite difficult.
No comments:
Post a Comment