Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Backpacking Tips

I have learned some little tips such as:
*You can tear open the top of an instant oatmeal pack and pour hot water directly in there and the paper material will stay intact, eliminating a need for a bowl
*You can use plastic "Freezer" ziploc bags as a "bowl" for whatever meal you're cooking, such as top ramen or Mac n cheese or whatever. You just pour the hot water directly into the bag with the food in there already. You could get really creative and make dried meals ahead of time.
*You can reuse the bags of "Mountain House" dehydrated meals over and over. They rinse off easily b/c of a coating on the inside of the bag. This is sort of like the freezer bag method, but less waste and less fussy.
*You can use your BPA-free Nalgene bottle as a mug for hot drinks. I have a 400ml bottle that is working great for this and I've been able to eliminate carrying my plastic coffee mug as well as my fancy collapsible bowl for meals.
*Duct tape can be stored by wrapping a little wad around one of your trekking poles.
*Wet wipes can be dehydrated ahead of time and splashed with a little water to reactivate the cleansing properties in order to decrease the overall weight of your pack.
*There are really light-weight tents out there that only require the use of a trekking pole and tent stakes. My tent has less room and is slightly heavier (and more fussy to set up) than the afore mentioned tent I saw out here.
*There are many things like lighter-weight rain gear and ultra-light down "sweaters" that can make or break a camping trip. I'm looking forward to paring down on this stuff when I get home-though I'm tempted to do a shopping spree right this minute and having stuff shipped to the PO in the next town, but don't worry (Nick) I'm resisting...so far.
*You can actually survive without deodorant out here - they counseled me to let it go at "the shakedown" and I've been trying it ever since. Who am I???
*"Smartwool" brand clothing has anti-bacterial properties and will help with the situation in the above tip.
*I cannot survive without a hairbrush. The shakedowners were wrong about that one.
*I CAN survive without hand lotion and back-up lip balm! Who AM I??

I'll post more tips as I learn them. It's a fun challenge to have everything you really truly need with you, yet make it light weight to carry and efficient to access.

3 comments:

Suzayn said...

WOW! who are you??? I love Smartwool and I had no idea about the antibacterial properties, so its great to know.

Unknown said...

- There are lightweight cars as well, such as the Lotus Elise

- When you get home I hope you will survive WITH deodorant

Unknown said...

I'm getting freaked out just thinking about not having back up lip balm.